Tuesday, August 01, 2006

No M.A. in UT?

Snowball in Hell writes in...

It'd be a dream to do the UT Austin MFA, but I'm not sure what to make of their policy to accept applicants with an MA on an "ad hoc basis." Given that the acceptance rate is already so competitive, especially in fiction, what would it take to get in if you've got an MA already? Do you know if they ever take applicants who hold an MA?

http://www.utexas.edu/academic/mcw/howtoapply-01-a-degree.shtm


Thanks!

Snowball, I can only go on what I read there, but I guess if I had an M.A. I wouldn't consider UT. It's an unusual policy though. I've never seen it before.

The one thing I will say: If any program loves your writing, they're likely to not worry about other issues. Thus, the "ad hoc" language, which gives them some leeway.

No comments: