Thursday, September 07, 2006

Recommenders Revisited

I'm asking two of my undergrad professors to write recommendations for me when I apply to MFA programs this winter. They knew me well and I think they'll have some very kind things to say about my writing and academic ability. But the third person is up in the air. These are my choices: 1. A published author and freelancer who teaches local writing courses and who headed a 6-week workshop I recently attended. He was impressed with my critiques and writing, but other than that, doesn't really know me. 2. Member of (another) writing group whom I know very well. She's familiar with my writing and critiquing abilities, and we even attended two writing conferences together. She is a young, unpublished writer. 3. Another professor from my undergrad days who will surely remember me by name and academic reputation, and who would probably write something nice, but frankly never knew me very well.

Thoughts?

Thanks. I love your blog and book!

--Third Person Limited

Thanks for the kind words Third Person. I see the tough decision you have, and perhaps disappointingly for you, I'm not going to make it for you.

I'll say what I always say about recommendations: Go with who knows you, who'll write something good about you, and who can be trusted to remember the letter and turn it in on time.

Sounds like you've got two good ones already. I guess if I was forced to man-fact, I'd go with #2, since she knows you the best. Good luck.

5 comments:

aliyaa said...

I believe that sales letter writing service is good for the writers when they really need a platform where professional will help the students in writing letter.

Unknown said...

Are you really still working on your thesis or dissertation? Have you written one word? This article helps you to make progress despite your lack of motivation to write. profile writing service

Unknown said...

Nevertheless it's much better for you to edit your reports fastidiously, and proper the apparently inevitable mistakes, than for your readers to be the primary to note them and maybe be irritated by them. Here we glance at seven tips to form that writing task somewhat easier. my blog

Unknown said...

To find the most effective ghost writers, attempt the a lot of personal writing agencies like those pass by just one person, that freely advertise that writer's ghost writing and writing services. Personal services mean you may get to speak directly with the most effective ghost writers, exchanging phone numbers and talking ofttimes through email, phone contact and Skype. you ought to continuously keep the lines of communication clear and open together with your ghost author, maintaining contact in the least times. homepage

Joseph Ferguson said...

During the method of making a video product, writing a script could need that you simply add or take away some concepts from it. There area unit tips that assist you to complement it if solely you are doing your analysis well. script writing examples