Monday, April 10, 2006

Baton Rouge Safety Issues (LSU or Davis?)

Pondering in Portland asks the toughest question I've ever had on the Blog:

Here’s my debacle: I’m a poet. I got into LSU, but I have safety concerns about Baton Rouge right now. It seems like a weird point in time to be going down there, but the funding is amazing, professors are caring and impressive, and the opportunities (to teach, to edit) rock. But crime statistics are up (post-Katrina’s population influx), everything is kinda hurricane-centric, and the females in the program I have spoken with have all had - what’s a polite way to say this – “run-ins” with unsavory characters. That’s scary.

My other favorite program is not so favorite anymore. Davis, who just had their recruitment weekend, is amazing on paper (or html) but a little less thrilling in person. The faculty is amazing, but I am not so thrilled about the students in the program. (Let’s just say there is a lack of diversity amongst the students [incoming students were cool and interesting, but many have decided to go elsewhere]) It really bummed me out. Also, funding is not equal. I think that’s very important for your readers to know. Not everybody gets the same amount of funding. You are guaranteed a TA’ship your second year, but for the first year, you may be winging it. That’s worrisome.

How do you prioritize in this kind of situation? Great program, crappy peers? Or wonderful program, with physical safety concerns? I’ve got other options, but one of my hero’s is at Davis, and LSU totally puts students first.

I seek your infinite wisdom and counsel. Preferably before April 15.

Well PiP, I'll give you my opinion, though as often, I'm man-facting here. I don't know anything about the situation in Baton Rouge outside of what you've told us, but it sounds to me that your concerns are very much legitimate. My sense is overall that you need some new information before you make the decision. If I were you, I'd contact the program director at LSU and communicate your concerns. The program may have some insights one way or the other. Surely, you won't be the first student to ask about this.

That said, I'm also concerned about your experience at Davis. I think highly of that program, and I know two students there. They like it very much. But your gut reaction is the most important one here. My sense is that you're not very enthusiastic about it, and that's not at all the situation you want in entering a program.

As for the safety issue in Baton Rouge: I know my personal safety is a big issue in deciding where to live. I don't want to live with a sense of fear. Again, I'd contact the program director. And perhaps another student who you haven't yet heard from. See what they have to say.

I'd hate to advise any student with two acceptances to decline both of them. That said, you need to be in situations that you feel good about. Otherwise, on a very basic level, your writing is not going to prosper. If I were you, I'd want to feel comfortable with the LSU situation. Otherwise, I'd consider re-applying to other programs next year.

Sorry I can't provide a clearer answer. But it's a tough question, and a good one. I hope others will offer their insights and opinions. Let us know what you do, PiP.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was at that Davis recruitment visit (as a recruit), and I feel you about what a drag it was. I don't see what people mean about the beauty of the town/campus, either.

But I'm familiar with LSU and Baton Rouge, having a lot of family from there, many of whom I just saw last weekend. Safety shouldn't be a concern. That's just TV hype nonsense. As in any other largish American city, there are dangerous (read: poor African-American) neighborhoods where a white girl shouldn't walk alone after dark (since I was at Davis, I'm betting you're white and female), but LSU and Baton Rouge are bourgeois enough that you'll be fine. Sounds like LSU for you, huh.

What was up with that Davis recruitment visit?

SK-S said...

I'm at LSU right now and near the campus there are several neighborhoods where students live and hang out. There's a real community, a close one. It's been a great experience so far, and we're only an hour and 15 minutes from New Orleans. Plus, the funding is amazing here.
And people are really friendly. We've got some really fantastic people, like npr commentator Andrei Codrescu, who arranges things like readings in New Orleans. You can work outside your genre and the program is three years.

SK-S said...

I'm at LSU right now and near the campus there are several neighborhoods where students live and hang out. There's a real community, a close one. It's been a great experience so far, and we're only an hour and 15 minutes from New Orleans. Plus, the funding is amazing here.
And people are really friendly. We've got some really fantastic people, like npr commentator Andrei Codrescu, who arranges things like readings in New Orleans. You can work outside your genre and the program is three years.

What said...

Thanks for this Tom. I am in a similar boat and this really helped me a lot. I was going through a troubling process, also into 2 schools but definitely not fond of either. A lot of people have told me to suck it up and go through with it and if you were aware of my situation you'd realize how much hell I'm in as I was rejected from the one school I really wanted to go to and staying where I am right now is not an option. This has brought me a lot of peace. Thank you.

Baton Rouge 225 said...

I am a Baton Rouge native. I was raised on the so called rough side of town and now live about 10 minutes from LSU campus after I joined the Navy and recently moved back to Prairieville, La about 10 minutes from Baton Rouge. You don't have anything to worry about, Baton Rouge is very fun, lots of culture to experience and I love it. You will regret it if you don't come here and attend LSU. Hope to see you around.

شركة عزل said...

تنظيف منازل بالدمام
تسليك مجاري بالدمام
رش مبيدات بالدمام
كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالرياض
شركة ترميم فلل بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بالخرج
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجدة
الريماس
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الموكيت
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المجالس
شركة الصفرات لرش المبيدات
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الخزانات
شركة الصفرات لمكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق شرق الرياض
شركة نقل اثاث شرق الرياض
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف المنازل
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الفلل
شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالخرج
شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

afaf elgamal said...

Here is "Isabelle's Playroom" that I painted this week. It's one of my favorite things I've painted so far...just because it was so much fun, and I had a blast making all the cutesie little animals. Plus, the mom was really sweet and loved what I was doing, so that's always nice. :) The photos (as always) are kind of crappy, but I wanted to show everyone anyway...