Wednesday, April 12, 2006

South Carolina

Bassboy in Florida writes:

I was accepted to the U of South Carolina (Columbia) about a month back on an assistanceship which would cover the tuition and give a healthy stipend. Very recently though, I recieved an acceptance from Emerson, where I don't believe I'll get any financial help.
My thought would be to go with South Carolina because of the money factor. It seems like a good program (though fairly new), and I've been impressed by their faculty thus far. But I dont know a whole lot about it. Do you have any information on them that you can offer?

BiF, you know my thoughts about funding vs. non-funding. However, I don't know much about the South Carolina program. I'd go for that one, if I were you, but I wonder if any readers have insights? Please post them in the comments section. Thanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think Tom overemphasises funding, but as has been discussed on this blog a couple times, Emerson's program is in shambles.

It would be one thing if you were debating Iowa with no funding versus SC with full funding. But it seems like an easy call for SC...

Unless the program is really really horrible.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely go for the SC program. I was hesistant before I went to the U of M for similar concerns about the program, etc, but in the end I got 3 years of doing what I love to do completely free! It was a dream come true, though I wasn't impressed at ALL with the program, politics, etc... It might be worth it to add that I went to the U of M as an "older" student, having already earned an MA in counseling psychology from Antioch Seattle... Hope that helps. Good luck and congratulations.

Kristina said...

goodluck