Monday, November 05, 2012

Low Residency: The Final Stretch and a Craft Paper

I graduate this January. That is, if I finish my craft paper.

I thought it would be easy. A short academic piece, somewhere in the ball park of eight pages. Heck, I've written novel drafts. I've written longer stories. I've turned in a 109 page thesis, a collection of stories. Certainly, I can knock off a craft essay in a few weeks.

Yeah...well...no. What's that old quote? Pride comes before a fall? It took me awhile to pin down my topic, to really focus. My interests have varied during my time at Queens. At one point, I thought I'd discuss flash fiction and prose poetry. Another time, I was on a how-to-write-flashbacks-without-making-it-backstory kick. Finally, at the May residency I decided on linked short story collections. I read (or re-read) a whole stack of them this summer. Good Scent From A Strange Mountain, Winesburg, Ohio, The Beggar Maid, Love Medicine...but then what? What is it that I wanted to say about linked collections?

Then Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her came out this September...and back to reading I went.

What helped me to focus on a topic was to peruse published craft essays. One of my favorite's is Wendi Berry's Evil Women Characters - How Writing Them Tempts the Reader to Feel Oh-So-Good in the most recent issue of Prime Number Magazine (disclaimer: Berry is a Queens grad).  For non-fiction writers, issue 11 features an essay by Michael Steinberg, The Person to Whom Things Happened: Finding the Inner Story in Personal Narratives. I highly recommend taking a look at a few examples if you're working on a craft paper either for your program or for an MFA program application. Feel free to leave recommendations for other literary magazines that publish craft essays. (((update: Check out Brevity for an archive of craft essays: http://brevitymag.com/category/craft-essays/)))


As the weeks close in, I begin to wonder if my reluctance to finish this paper coincides with my reluctance to finish the MFA program. In less than two months, I won't have deadlines for workshops or thesis advisors offering thoughtful critique. It'll be up to me to keep writing. The advantage, I have discovered, of a low-residency program is that I don't have to quit my day job to do all of this. The disadvantage, I have also discovered, is I don't have to quit my day job to do all of this. I work full-time, come home, read, and write...draft five of the craft paper. I'm tired. I love it.





18 comments:

Anjali said...

Hope to meet you in January! It'll be my first residency at Queens. I can't wait!

insurance said...

Check out my blog...http://writingguidens.blogspot.in/

Animus said...

Best of luck!

I'll be a first-timer in January too, Anjali!

anna Sonata said...

Very nice, thanks for the information.
Anna @ sewa mobil jakarta

Melissa Matthewson said...

I'm applying to Queens for next summer. Sounds like you enjoyed it.

Cheryl R Bass said...

Residency essay editing service where you can learn to write an essay which comprises of political manifestos, learned arguments, observations of daily life and recollections.

rohit kaushik said...

My cousin recommended this blog and she was totally right keep up the fantastic work!

PhD Thesis Writing Help | Phd Editing Support | Thesis Editing Service

Davies Hall said...

I now study during the intact article of yours and it was fairly fine.

masters proposal paper

Madhvi Raina said...

Hello,

Its great blog, I like your blog Writing and your Thoughts,

Thesis Writers | Dissertation Data Analysis

Joan Ark said...

I love your blog!

A Writer's Nakama
http://writing-1234.blogspot.com/

R.T. said...

Hi All, I'm compiling MFA info on fully funded programs only at: http://affordingthemfa.wordpress.com/

Saeed Zia said...

Latest Hot Entertainment News, Latest update about Bollywood, hollywood, pakistani Girls
hotentertainnews.blogspot.com

Saeed Zia said...

Jobs at your Home, Internet Online Jobs like data entry, copy pasting, Form Filling, Facebook Sharing Jobs, Clicking Jobs, Web Surfing, Google Jobs and Much More Earning Systems Online
www.jobzcorner.com

Shopnerkotha said...

I am looking for good custom essay writer.Thanks for your post.

jimmy wilson said...

Fantastic write up!

Leather Biker Jacket Classic

Frandis Charles said...

It sounds good
California Black Leather Jacket

butoijoh said...

Nice blog! Plase visit
Jasa SEO Jakarta

moon akondo said...

Thanks!