Friday, May 19, 2006

Tools for Teaching



In reference to a question from a few weeks ago concerning resources for teachers. Tools for Teaching, by Barbara Gross Davis, would be my pick. It's not at all an essay or meditation on teaching but is instead a practical, how-to handbook about the nuts and bolts of the classroom.

Chapters include The Course Syllabus, The First Day of Class, Teaching Academically Diverse Students, Leading a Discussion, Delivering a Lecture, Grading Practices, and on and on. It's a little pricey, around $40, but well worth it. It's the best book for beginning teachers I've seen out there.

I'd appreciate other recommendations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The one that helped me most my first year of teaching -- and to which I still refer -- is "McKeachie's Teaching Tips: Strategies, Research, and Theory for College and University Teachers."

Practical, effective tips on student engagement and active learning *plus* great advice on the scary stuff: "classroom incivilities," cheating, clingy students... there's even a chapter on the (largely dysfunctional) university/faculty culture.