Thursday, November 04, 2010

The New Face of the Creative Writing Master of Fine Arts (An Article at The Huffington Post)

[PS: Don't forget to vote in the 2010 TSE Poll if you haven't already! You can find it in the right-hand sidebar at TSE].

My current article for The Huffington Post responds to claims made by both Anis Shivani and the Association of Writers and Writing Programs (AWP) about the present and future of the MFA degree. I think you'll find the article filled with interesting data; it may even be the sort of article you can pass along to friends or family who wonder why you're pursuing this degree. So feel free to comment under the post itself at The Huffington Post, pass the link along via Facebook and Twitter, etcetera.

1 comment:

Sheila Lamb said...

"It's not just that the jobs aren't there (the math tells us) for more than 98% of each year's crop of MFA graduates, it's that the interest in teaching--on the part of tomorrow's MFA students--simply isn't there either."

I think this is a good point. I can only speak for myself, but I'm *trying* to think beyond the teaching box. I believe I will always teach in some capacity (part time/adjunct/workshops)but there are many more writing choices, including publishing (traditional and online) and whatever-may-come of social media.