: A Creative Writing Community
@N, I also applied to GSU in fiction. I assumed that I had been rejected since I hadn't heard anything yet. But then again, I haven't heard anyone say they've been accepted either. I'm still waiting on a rejection from Wichita, too.
@Dad Bubble -- Very true, very true. Your words are comforting, and may be what I need to hear. Thank you!
Can anyone help with feedback? What do you think of BU's program? Specifically, what do you think of the one year length? Help!
Well, we can file this under, "That was unexpected." I just got a call from Antioch that although no spots have opened up in fiction, they want to offer me admission in their new Writing for Young People genre. Since it's a multi-disciplinary program I'd still be able to take the fiction courses while I'm there, but my thesis would be for a YA audience.AAAAAAAH!Now to see if I can afford it. Fresno, if you're listening, you've got less than a week to offer me a spot with generous funding! :)
Kyle, I just declined an offer at Fresno with first year tuition waived, so hopefully they will be contacting you soon. I, actually, accepted a MA program (Northern Arizona University) and to my delight I found out that they just got approved to start an MFA program and I will automatically be enrolled into the program.
@UnknownNot yet; I'm dragging my feet, but I'm honestly leaning toward George Mason simply because there is no funding attached to either acceptance at this point, so if I'm going to go in debt either way . . . I still have the rest of this week to think about it.
@Santino That's really exciting! Congratulations!
Just confirmed by phone with Fresno that I am, in fact, on the waitlist. Left a message to try to find out where on that list I am. Since I've also heard nothing from UCR-Palm Desert, I'm assuming it's the same situation there.I don't know about the rest of you, but I, for one, really appreciate being told I'm waitlisted instead of listening to the crickets. It *does* affect the decision-making process when there are other offers (and, for that matter, even when there are not, if there are schools you held off applying to while seeing if you got into a top choice). I wish schools would consider the needs of their prospective students along with their own needs.:: end rant ::
Well, I don't know if playing the "I have another offer" card worked or if posting angry screeds on the internet is good karma, but Fresno State just called to offer me a spot. No word on funding yet, but even without it, it's much more affordable than Antioch.I've got until Monday to make a decision...Still no word from UC Riverside - Palm Desert, but I think they're probably off the list regardless. Antioch is a better low-residency program, Fresno is local and has teaching opportunities.
Anyone heard from UNC-G poetry yet (excluding that ambiguous email about our apps "still with the committee"?)
@ldjuliusthere have been quite a few acceptances over at the facebook group
C, any word from GSU or Wichita at the Fb group?
Two GSU poets accepted yesterday. Oh, and one poet was accepted into Wichita in march or early april. She accepted. I'll email you -
Has anyone received an official rejection notice from Indiana University? By what method?
I'm checking to see who else got into gcsu for poetry, other than CH and Monica...anyone???
@Robert -- A tough decision, I know. But look at it this way: At GMU you can apply for a TA in your second year -- I know of a student there who didn't get a TA in year 1 but did in year 2, and it's renewed for the next year. So you may really only have to pay for one year, not all three.
How about UNCG for fiction?
Just accepted Columbia Chicago's offer (Poetry). Any trustworthy, congenial, charismatic, and respecting Chicagoan need a room-mate?
Any word on Bowling Green? Fiction, specifically?
Anyone else in on UNO? I saw that a "popmartyr" was admitted to New Orleans. Anyone considering it? Anyone know about funding? I'm in for screenwriting, though, so the funding issue might be a bit different.Congrats to all of you, by the way, for your respective successes!
I turned it down-- no funding. If they haven't contacted you yet, you might call them. I bet that they've made their decision by now, even if they haven't reached you.
Congratulations though! Seems like they have some pretty absurd (in a good way) screenwriting faculty, especially on an adjunct level.
Rejected: Hunter, Brooklyn, Iowa, Syracuse, UMass AmherstWaitlist: The New SchoolAny idea how long a waitlist decision will take for the New School?
As of today, I have turned down 4 out of the 5 schools that have accepted me for Fiction and have accepted an offer from the University of Arizona.It feels very liberating to have finally made this choice. To everyone still waiting--stay strong, there are so many people who are going to give up their spots at various schools between now and the 15th...Wishing everyone on this list the best of luck!
Bennett,I'm a lurker here and on the MFA group on FB, and I see that you (& another commenter) also got the "Application in review, are you still interested?" email. I was so excited to receive it; less excited to see that it didn't necessarily mean anything.On FB, I've seen 2 people turn down spots at UNCG in the past few days. No one on FB has announced commitment to the program. I just wish they would reject -or even waitlist- or in some way elucidate their process. 'Cause it's April 13th, and this bitch be goin' crazy.
I was accepted at the New School (Poetry), but the scholarship only covers half of my tuition. Any ideas as to how I might cover the rest? (Loans are out of the question-I am an International student so getting one is most likely impossible).
Thanks Briana! My guess is that we must all be on some kind of wait list, whether long or short. I agree though that they could at least notify us of our status! Good luck finding ways to stay sane while awaiting decision; I've been taking it out on the (many) weeds in my garden.
Well, I accepted the spot at Fresno State. Hopefully someone else can use my spot at Antioch. Broke my heart to have to turn them down.So my final tally is:• Fresno State, fiction, accepted, attending.• Antioch Univ. L.A., writing for young people, accepted, not attending.• Antioch Univ. L.A., fiction, waitlisted, not attending.• U.C. Riverside - Palm Desert, fiction, withdrew application prior to receiving response.Good luck to everyone still on waitlists. Hopefully you'll get answers soon!
Guys! Should I have said where I will go when I wrote to a school that I'm not accepting?What's the usual thing?
@Lia -- I didn't say where I was going when I turned down schools. If they had rejected me, it's not like they would have told me which students they picked instead...
@Lia, It's information schools like to have (some specifically ask for it on their formal intent to register / decline acceptance forms), but if you didn't tell them, there's no need to chase after them to give them the information. The only real benefit to you is that if they know you've enrolled elsewhere they may (but may not) take you off their mailing list for future years.
I accepted UCF last week. The director of the program told me I'd hear about funding by the end of last week. Didn't hear a thing. How horrible is it if I tell them I'll now have to decline? I just can't do it. School + a big move - 0 money in the bank = long years of debt. I figure, if I got accepted this year, I can take another year and improve my work and apply again next year. But does it look bad at this point to decline after have accepted?There is so much competition out there. I wonder if I should just suck up and take the debt.Any thoughts?
@Dad Bubble and Me: Are you sure that not having heard about funding means you aren't getting any?While it's ultimately a personal decision whether it's worth it to go without funding or not, I agree that if money is an issue, it's better to wait. As you say, you can still write and improve over the next year, and you can do it without the stress of debt hanging over you.Don't feel like this is your last and only chance to go to a program -- because it isn't.
Bird- you've been great. Weeks after getting accepted to a program you are still on giving advice! No, I'm not completely sure about funding, but my last conversation ended with: "Maybe you could take part-time credits and next year be funded. We do our best to fund all our present students first." Which is fair, but it all has the sound of possible doom to me. I can't see moving to Florida just for a few credits in hope that I'll be funded next year. And just the process of applying, and seriously considering a masters has made me take a serious step toward my writing. In the past 6 months, I've written more and completed more and have been more satisfied with what I am producing.Next year, I think I'd be better prepared. I hate all this "I" stuff. What about you bird? When does your program start? what are you excited by? What, if anything, do you wish you could change?
My final tally (all in fiction):Oregon State- rejected with form letter.Portland State- Wait-listed (but not in.)Arizona State- No word whatsoever, except "in review" for the past three months on my online status. Assumed rejection.
@Bird, @KyleThank you for the advice. I was fretting that one a little! Okay guys, last week's last letter went to JHU. I have declined a JHU Poetry spot. It's Tuesday so I'm betting they've *already* contacted the waitlist, but letting you know. May it go to a good one! Also, if some of you have been waitlisted, you certainly can contact the program to see what's up, right? (I want to give this as advice, but asking others thoughts.)Or guys, has the time passed for programs to pull our people off of waitlists? Not yet, right, or ...?Well, I don't know about that stuff. Someone has to say, but I do know this:There is next year, and MOST applicants ("most" includes lots of damn fine writers) do not get accepted at the end of the year. Guys, this is something worth remembering when you want to rag on yourself. This process is one big leap into crazytown.Be proud of that bravado.
Has anyone on the FB group seen any mention of NYU waitlist movement? Thanks!
Kingston University (UK- fictionRutgers University-Camden -fiction City University London- Fiction (UK)Bath Spa- Fiction (UK)
Really try to keep in the midwest/Missouri area, but am afraid I might have to open it up a little bit. Just starting the process of applying for Fall '13. So far:University of Missouri-Kansas CityWashington University in St. LouisUniversity of Missouri-Columbia (traditional Master's)I feel like I'm a pretty good writer and should be able to get serious looks from at least a few schools, but when I read about the number of applicants vs. the number of accepted students at a place like Wash U, I get depressed. Even with a great sample, you still need some luck.
@Brooklyn Music Gal, you may not check this blog at all anymore, but I'm preparing to apply to MFA programs this Fall (for Fall 2013) and noticed that you were accepted at NYU, one of the schools I'm strongly considering. Could I get your input on my writing sample, or feedback about NYU's program, if it's the one you ended up choosing?
Hey All, If anyone wants free info on fully funded MFA programs, I've updated my site. http://affordingthemfa.wordpress.com
Hi All, I'm running an MFA blog on fully funded programs: http://affordingthemfa.wordpress.com/page/2/
Hi there, awesome site. I thought the topics you posted on were very interesting. I tried to add your RSS to my feed reader and it a few. take a look at it, hopefully I can add you and follow.Dissertation Writing Services India
I got the decision letter from Columbia University today, accepted but zero scholarship, I feel terrible and is thinking about declining it... Too bad that I only applied one university this year... I should have done more research about other universities....
Post a Comment