Sunday, January 13, 2013

MFA Completed.

I'm not ready to write those words. Completed. Graduated. I loved every minute of being a part of Queens low-residency program.

It was a whirlwind bittersweet final fifth residency at Queens. As graduating students, we had a modified schedule - no more workshop! We did attend special topics seminars in the morning, taught by faculty including Lauren Groff, Kim Wiley, Jonathan Dee, and Suzannah Lessard. Topics ranged from publication paths, to novel structure, to the First Amendment and writers, and freelancing.

In the afternoon, we presented or attended graduating student craft seminars. Along with our thesis, Queens graduates are required to write and then teach our craft paper. It's a short session but a great experience. It's a quick way to see if you're ready for a classroom, university or otherwise. I wrote a brief overview of my craft seminar here.

Evenings were reserved for public readings, by faculty (I was thrilled when Lauren Groff read from Arcadia)  and by graduating students. Again, part of our graduating requirements include reading from our thesis. Each night was a mix of poetry, non-fiction, and fiction. Any time that we earned from not having workshop was spent instead stressing over our readings and craft presentations. And on Saturday night, we graduated.

What's next? I go back to my day job. Most of us in the low-residency world will. Some of us will try for academic positions or residencies. All of us will keep writing. Because of the nature of the low-res program, I don't feel I'm pressured to search for that tenure-track job (unless it's something you really want to do). What I will continue to do is to keep the writing schedule I've created over the past two years.

Figuring out that writing schedule was the biggest plus, in my opinion, of the low-residency model. I'm not going to be thrown in to some unfamiliar post-graduation world tomorrow. I'm going to get up an hour earlier than necessary, and in those pre-dawn hours before the day job, I'm going to put words on the page.

26 comments:

Daniel said...

Congrats!

Sheila Lamb said...

Thanks! On to more writing...

Anjali said...

Congrats, Sheila. I'm sorry we didn't get a chance to meet-- I just finished my 1st residency. Best of luck to your writing future!

Melissa Matthewson said...

Congratulations! I was just accepted to VCFA (also applied to Queens), so I'm waiting for more decisions to come, but so excited to have the opportunity to do the low-res writing programs for all the reasons you've mentioned!

Beth said...

Congrats on graduating and sticking to your schedule!

Beth said...

Did you have to do an interview for your MFA? I have an interview for a program Tuesday, and I'm trying to figure out what kinds of questions they ask.

Unknown said...

This post is very good and informative in this post author say about graduating students. thank you posting. i really appriciate author work

Full PhD Dissertation Help

Kayze said...

congratulations. i've been following your blog now for a while trying to figure out whether i should get an mfa or not.
just recently i came across the option of getting a phd in english with a creative disertation and i just had to ask- is that the best of both worlds or the worst? everyone says go for a regualar english degree because mfa is a more risky choice. but the thought of churning out a thousand pages about someone else's work is killing me. so i wanted to know, is that option a good one? or will people just assume that you're someone who doesn't actually know what they wanted.

Kayze said...

congratulations. iv been following your blog for quite a while as im deciding between going for a phd in english or an mfa. recently though, i came across english phds that allow creative dissertations and i wanted to know is that the best of both worlds or the worst?
people hv told me its better to go for the secure english degree, but the thought of churning out a thousand pages about someone else's book is killing me. at the same time, i want a secure job and people say mfa can't give you that.
so what i wanted to know was is how do people look at people with english phds wiht creative dissertations? do they think you can't make up your mind?
thanks. congratulations and best of luck!

Unknown said...

This is great information for students. This article is very helpful i really like this blog thanks. I also have some information relevant for Cheap Dissertation Writing

Unknown said...

Great articles and nice a website design too :)
Logo Designing

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! I am just starting my Master's after checking out mba programs in pa for so long. I really wanted to be near family this time around!

Unknown said...

Totally amazing..


email archiving

Unknown said...

hi,your article is great.thanks for sharing this blog.
affordable dissertation

Unknown said...

I agree with you. glasses need to have spare ones if not, if it gets broken or lost. we cant see anything which is as good as dead. More info visit on Super foods

Gujjar rehman said...

Very good written data. it'll be helpful to anyone United Nations agency utilizes it, together with Pine Tree State. Keep doing what you're doing - trying forward to a lot of posts visit on it Home page

Unknown said...

Congrats and thank you for sharing it with us www.beefjerky.com

Unknown said...

Looking forward more to your post. House Cleaning Maid Service NY

Unknown said...

I really loved all your blogs.. very neat and unique Divorce Minnesota

Unknown said...

Fantastic post i sounds good
Black Velvet Jewelry Boxes Wholesale

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

I read this article from past year we saw maharaja living style they are awesome. This past year maharaja life its beautiful and this jewelery awesome. icons

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

The benefits of getting first hand updates about the latest gadgets is that, I can keep my technology directory updated with current information. Aside from feeding other gadget geeks like me with fresh information, I am also able to tell others about the latest technology news which they can also benefit from. http://creditcarddebtchampions.com

Unknown said...

great work has done thanks for sharing Accredited GED Online

Unknown said...

Your post is truly good and informative I actually enjoy reading them every day. I’ve learned a lot from your post Thank you so much for sharing this nice post. Keep it up…

Visit: GED Online Diploma

phD Assistance said...

thank u for sharing it with us PhD Thesis Writing

Jake said...

"Thanks for sharing such a great post. It is very useful and informative. Valuable information you have shared. Also, check out
Multi-Factor Authentication
MFA
Two Factor Authentication"