Great question from Waitlisted & Wondering:
I've gotten in to a school I'm excited about, and I've been waitlisted at another one. I'm not sure yet which I prefer; I'm planning to visit them both. Both will offer me great funding, including at least some teaching.
My question: They both follow the April 15 deadline, so how am I supposed to know whether I can accept the first school if I don't know yet if a spot opened up for me at the second school? I'm sure applicants and schools have to deal with this all the time -- how is it meant to work? (Also, to complicate things, I'm still waiting on one more school, which seems to notify any time between next week and the end of April.)
W&W, that deadline is like all deadlines: there will be a little movement just before it. What I mean: You should call the waitlist school around April 10. Tell them (again if necessary) what your situation is. Hopefully, another student will have declined an acceptance (because he/she chose another school).
If they won't tell you yes/no by April 10th, then do ask what your number is on the waitlist. And man, if they won't tell you that, then take the other one. The waitlist school needs to tell you where you stand.
Best of luck, W&W. Let us know how it turns out.