Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Graduate Minors?

Newbie in New York writes...

While googling something about my creative writing MFA search, I came across something about graduate minors. I guess I had never thought about it, but do many schools offer minors during graduate studies? And (hopefully!) once I'm accepted to a MFA program would I even have the time to follow through with a minor in a different subject?

I've never heard of this, Newbie, though there are MFA programs that allow you to take classes in other departments. I took a number of photography courses and "New Media Writing" type offerings at UMass.

I'd appreciate hearing more about your search. And I'd also appreciate comments about programs with this outside-the-department flexibility.

I've never actually heard of a "Graduate Minor," though I've been surprised before.

No comments: