Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Dropping Names?

Tom,

I’m hoping you or your readers could offer some insight on this situation. One of my friends is a recent graduate of Syracuse’s MFA program, which happens to be my top choice. Should I mention in my personal statement that one reason I’m so excited about Syracuse is because I know [insert friend’s name here] and she had a very positive experience? I’m well aware I won’t be selected just because I dropped the name of a recent grad, but this is a legitimate reason for why I favor the school. I just don’t want to come across as someone who thinks she can get in based on who she knows versus how she writes.

Thanks,
Obsessing Over Personal Statement (OOPS)

------------

Oops, I'd include the person's name. It's part of your story of "Why I want to attend Syracuse." As long as you're reasonable about it. As long as you don't write, "I know you accepted Stacey, and I'm an even better writer than her!" or the like. :)

If I were on the committee, I'd actually like to know this information. Rock on.

1 comment:

jiang said...

The first issuie that thomas sabo jewellery online consumers are facing thomas jewellery in India is the narorw range and limited choice of merchandize. Even pandora bracelets the leading sites like ebay.in, indiaplaza.in, indiatimes pandora jewellery or rediff have very liimited range of pandora australia iteems and therefore pandora bracelets are hardly attrractive. I personally searched pandora bracelet many a ties for books and music pandora charms titles amoong other things in the Inddian sites but seldom fouund any thomas sabo australia great product and never thomas sabo excciting prices. In spite of limited rnage still some conssumers want to buy online sabo jewellery just for the sake of convenience but then their expertience is also not good.